Paratransit provides transportation for people with disabilities.
Riding Belvidere/Rockford Para Transit is equivalent to riding RMTD’s fixed route system. There is a scheduled arrival time and you must be ready when the vehicle arrives. The driver can wait only 5 minutes for you to board. You and your companion should meet the vehicle. Our service is an origin to destination service. If you need assistance boarding or alighting, please let the dispatcher know at the time your ride is scheduled.
Para Transit Fee - $3.00 one way trip: The driver is required to collect a fare of $3.00 from you and your companion prior to your departure. Please have exact change ready. Drivers Do Not carry change. Personal assistants are allowed to ride free of charge if indicated on your Rockford ParaTransit application.
Who Can Ride? Certified Para Transit Riders are those who, because of a disability, are unable to:
- Board, ride or disembark from an accessible bus.
- Use the system due to visual or mental impairments.
- Other considerations:
- Age, distance to stop, or illiteracy are not considered disabilities.
- People who are blind and visually impaired may be eligible if they cannot use RMTD’s regular fixed route system.
- People with medical conditions such as epilepsy, kidney disorders, or diabetes may be eligible depending on their ability to use RMTD’s regular fixed route systems.
How To Get Certified
- Complete a Para Transit application at
- Rockford Para Transit office, 520 Mulberry Street, Rockford or
- Boone County Council on Aging, 2141 Henry Luckow Lane, Belvidere
- Applicants will be reviewed within 21 days of receipt. Once reviewed, Rockford Para Transit will notify applicant in writing the determination of eligibility.
- Temporary Para Transit:
- Any person can apply for and be granted temporary Para Transit eligibility, if they meet the full Para Transit eligibility criteria as listed above and are determined temporary Para Transit Eligible by Rockford Para Transit.
Para Transit Reservations
Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Call 815-975-9059 Voice & TTY
After hours: 1-779-552-7241.
(Use your TTY or dial 711 on your telephone, and you will automatically be connected to a TRS operator.)
Paratransit service is NOT provided on the following holidays:
New Year's Day
4th of July
Click to Download: Reasonable Modification Policy and Form