Info & Assistance

Information and Assistance is here for you.

Information and Assistance (I & A) specialists provide free assistance with Federal and State Programs that benefit older adults to help you obtain what you are entitled to.  If there is an issue that you cannot navigate on your own, please do not hesitate to call us.  We will meet you face to face, on the phone, or through the computer.  Services are free of charge.  Contact us for more information or to set an appointment.

Click to see related community resources.

Programs we help with:

  • License Plate Discount
  • Senior's Ride Free Transit Card
  • Property Tax Assessment Freeze / Deferral
  • Medicare enrollment, Drug Plan comparison & Saving programs
  • Medicaid Assistance
  • Energy Assistance
  • Farmer's Market Coupons
  • In-Home Visits
  • Prairie State Legal Referrals
  • Notary Public

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Our highly trained counselors are not affiliated with any insurance company or for-profit entity.  We are funded by grants and donations, which keeps our services FREE and UNBIASED.  This is different than insurance company representatives advising you about what is best, because what's best for them is not always what's best for you.  We save our clients thousands of dollars every year with pure and caring advice.

Keep reading for more information and to prepare for your appointment!

LIHEAP: Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
You will need copies of the following documents for everyone in the household:

  • Social Security cards*
  • Driver’s licenses or State I.D.s*
  • Proof of monthly income (bank statement or pay stubs from wages)*
  • Most recent utility bills*
  • Universal Signature Page (available at BCCA office)

* Copies only.  Please keep your originals in a safe place!  We will make copies for you if needed.


Property Tax Assessment Freeze
This program allows qualified senior citizens to have their home’s assessed value “frozen” at a base year value to prevent increases due to inflation. This does not mean that your property taxes will not increase because other factors may affect your tax bill.

To qualify you must:

  • Be 65 or older
  • Have household income of less than $65,000
  • Have lived in your home for at least one year
  • Own the property
  • Have the property tax bill in your name
  • You must reapply every year with proof of your household’s annual income
  • The deadline for filing is November 1st

Benefits Access Program
Secretary of State License Plate Discount
Seniors Free Transit Ride and Persons with Disabilities Free Transit Ride

To qualify you must:

  • Be 65 or older by December 31 of the current year OR be 16 or older and totally disabled.
  • Be a resident of Illinois when you file the application.
  • Have prior year income less than: $33,562 for a 1-person household, $44,533 for a 2-person household and $55,500 for a 3-person household. 

Apply once every 2 years.  Please call for an appointment as soon as possible because it can take the State of Illinois 8-10 weeks to process your application.

Does the State Help You With Your Medical Expenses?

Are you on Medicaid or SNAP?  Does the State of Illinois pay your Medicare Part B premiums?  We can help you navigate through these programs by getting you linked up to the ABE website.  ABE stands for Application for Benefits Eligibility.  This website allows you to upload documents, view notices mailed to you, renew your benefits on-line and much more.  If you feel you need help with the process, please call your Information and Assistance team at Boone County Council on Aging.  Contact us!

Information and Assistance Supervisor 

Susan Bileto




Information & Assistance Specialist

Marisol Rivera