Benefits Access Program (formerly Circuit Breaker)

Seniors Free Transit Ride and Persons with Disabilities Free Transit Ride
Secretary of State License Plate Discount

To qualify you must:

  • Be 65 or older by Dec. 31 of the current year or be 16 or older and totally disabled
  • Be a resident of IL when you file the application
  • Have 2015 income less than:  $27,610 for a 1 person household,  $36,635 for a 2 person household

One nice feature is that you only have to apply once every 2 years. If you file in 2016, you won’t need to file again until 2018  When it is time for you to refile for Benefit Access (formerly Circuit Breaker), we will send you a reminder postcard. We send postcards about 90 days before your deadline. It’s a good idea to call for an appointment as soon as you receive your postcard because it can take the State of IL 8-10 weeks to process your application.

LiHeap - Low Income Housing Energy Assistance Program
We can help qualifying Boone County seniors, 60 years of age or older.
To qualify your monthly income must be less than:

$1,518 for 1 person household
$2,058 for 2 people household
$2,598 for 3 people household

You will need to bring the following documents for your appointment:
* Social Security cards for everyone in your household
* Photo I.D. Example: Driver’s license or state I.D. (for everyone)
* Proof of monthly income (Bank account statement or pay stubs from wages)
* Most recent utility bills


Attention!  You WILL NOT receive a form in the mail this year!

Forms are available at the BCCA/KAC, Ida Public Library and the Assessor's Office.

Amy Atkinson

Information & Assistance Specialist

The Boone County Council on Aging provides assistance and information on many Federal and State Programs that benefit the elderly.  Our professional staff provides assistance and referrals with Medicaid, Medicare and insurance, Snap Benefits, Social Security, SSI, Income taxes, tax assessment freeze, Property Tax Deferral, Benefits Access Program and energy assistance in a confidential setting.

To Receive Help:
Call 815-544-9893
Leave your name and phone # with the receptionist.  An Information & Assistance Specialist will call you to schedule an appointment.

Programs We Can Help You With

 Real Estate Tax Deferral

This program is similar to a loan against your property. The State of Illinois pays your real estate taxes for you at 6% interest. When you pass away or sell the property the loan must be paid back. This is NOT a reverse mortgage. You may only “borrow” the amount due on your property taxes, up to $5,000 per year.
To qualify you must:
¨ Be 65
¨ Have household income less than $65,000
¨ Have owned the property for at least 3 years
¨ Have no delinquent property taxes
¨ Have adequate insurance against fire or casualty loss
The annual filing period for this program is January 1st through March 1st.


Nancy Nellis

Information & Assistance Specialist

Property Tax Assessment Freeze

This program allows a qualified senior citizen to have your home’s assessed value “frozen” at a base year value to prevent increases due to inflation. This does not mean that your property taxes will not increase because other factors affect your tax bill.

To qualify you must:

Be 65
Have household income of less than $65,000
Have lived in your home for at least one year
Own the property
Have the property tax bill in your name

You must reapply every year with proof of your household’s annual income. The deadline for filing is November 1st, 2019. Please contact your I&A specialist at 815-544-9893 to schedule an appointment. 

Our Staff:         


Sue Bileto

Information & Assistance Supervisor

Does the State Help You With Your Medical Expenses?

LINK Your Account Now!

Does the state help pay for your Part B Premiums?

Are you on Medicaid or SNAP/LINK?

The state has a new website that will allow your I&A specialist to

help with forms you have received in the mail, or documents you

need to send to DHS. Call your I&A specialist to schedule an appointment

now to get your account with DHS Linked up. 815-544-9893

Information & Assistance